Wednesday 17 April 2013

Marriage Equality: New Zealand makes it legal

Wow.

Wow is all I can say.

I cannot express just how proud I am of my country in this small little box and with these little words in this little world. New Zealand has just passed the Gay Marriage Bill. It became the thirteenth country to do so. Little New Zealand has managed to realise just how important each individual person is to the world and that their rights should be equal no matter whom they love.

It makes me incredibly proud to be a New Zealander today. You can read about it here.

I want to share something with you that I wrote when I was all of seventeen.


"I believe in full equality for all. Martin Luther King made a change in history when he protested for equality amongst blacks and whites. So why has it taken so long for same sex relationships to receive even a small amount of what they have fought for?
It makes me pleased to know that young people, of my age, are content with homosexuality, or bisexuality. Not all people are, but most are. I met a lovely gay couple at a friends’ party. He brought me over to them and said “I want you to meet some very special friends of mine”. He said their names, which I apologize as I have forgotten them. And then he said they are together, implying their relationship. They however, quickly informed him and I that they had split up. Later on I saw them kissing and sitting on one another, holding hands, and doing all things coupley. They had reunited. I was so pleased to see that these two guys were busy being in love in a room full of teenagers. The venue was packed, and everyone could see what they were doing. Yet, nobody seemed to mind. This makes me feel so happy. To think that teenagers, and the generation looked down upon most by society, were content enough that they knew what love was, and that it doesn’t matter who you love, to let these people comfortably express their love. It made me happy is all. 
Homosexuality is not a sin people. It is love. And love is experienced by all.

I wrote this several years ago. It makes me proud today to think that the older people, the government, and the public in general have decided that New Zealand is a country that needs equal rights for ALL its' citizens.

I am so proud to be a New Zealander today. x

No comments:

Post a Comment